Tuber begonia is a complex hybrid created by breeding from various species. Belongs to the Begoniev family.
Her birth falls on the middle of the XIX century. Wild Bolivian varieties were crossed. Then the resulting hybrid was combined with begonias of various regions and received many interesting varieties that combined the best qualities of the family: flowering duration and unpretentiousness in maintenance.
Description and features of begonia
A large number of tuber hybrids have now been bred. They have differences, but there are five features characteristic of this type of begonias:
- Root - underground tuber (5-6 cm).
- The stem is thick, 25 cm high, 80 cm.
- Leaves are dark or light green, glossy and fleecy. The form is heart-shaped. Located alternately and asymmetrically.
- Flowers are various, from simple to terry, red, white, yellow and other colors. Plain, bordered, small or large, solitary or in inflorescences.
- Fruit with seeds - a box of 1 cm, in which there are small almost 1 thousand seeds.
Tuberous begonias grow equally well in open ground, at home and on the balcony.
A tuber, which accumulates all the substances necessary for the life of a flower, helps it in any conditions.
The main varieties of begonia
There are many types and varieties of tuberous begonias.
They can be divided by features:
|Everlasting||Herbaceous perennial with a height of up to 36 cm, depending on the variety. In the summer they plant in the garden, in winter they have houses.||Round green or burgundy.|
White, yellow, pink, coral. Terry or simple.
Most of the year.
|Coral||Height - a little less than 1 m. Unpretentious in home care.||Elongated, serrated. They are distinguished by dullness and light specks.|
Red shades. Collected in inflorescences resembling corals.
Early spring - the first frost.
|Deciduous||Ornamental indoor plant with dropped stems. Very moody. It is not grown outdoors.||Unusual colors: various contrasting patterns, spots, silver and pearl shimmer.|
|Upright||Dark Red||Large dark red like a rose.|
|Double yellow||Large yellow terry.|
|Party dress||Reminiscent of the original huge carnations on a small bush.|
|Camellia Flora||Peony, waxy, pale pink with a snow-white border.|
|Crispa White-red||Looks like large cloves, white with burgundy or scarlet border.|
|Picoti Lace Epicot||Terry, corrugated, apricot color, very large.|
|Samba||Pastel colors of various shades resemble cloves.|
|Ampelic||Chanson||Medium, semi-double or terry, two-tone, camellia-like, of various colors.|
|Sutherland||Small, simple sunny shades.|
Planting begonia tuber in a pot
When purchasing tubers, observe the following recommendations:
- The best time for this is the end of January - the beginning of March.
- Size - at least 3 cm, color - rich brown, without spots and damage.
- Presence of buds, but not overgrown.
Planted at the very beginning of spring:
- Capacity for landing take a medium size.
- Mandatory drainage system of expanded clay and small pebbles 1/3 of the pot.
- The soil is peat. When the buds grow to 5 cm, they are transplanted into the soil for begonias or substrate: sand, leafy, peaty soil and humus (1: 1: 1: 1).
- The rounded side of the tuber is immersed in the soil, and the concave side is placed upward without deepening so that the sprouts can breathe.
- When rooting, add soil and break off excess processes. If the planting material did not exceed 5 cm, they are enough 2-3 no more.
By purchasing an adult plant, it is adapted to home conditions.
For a week or two, put the flower in the shade, do not water, do not fertilize. Look for insects.
Tuber Begonia Careat home
Although the flower is not capricious, it needs to create favorable conditions. In November, if they want to prolong the flowering of begonias, continue feeding and highlighting them, observe the rules of watering and humidity, deceiving the plant so that it does not go to rest. But for his further activity, he must definitely have a rest for at least 3 months.
|Location||North window.||Western, eastern.|
|Lighting||Bright, but without direct sun.||Finish up.||Shade.|
|Temperature||+18 ° C ... +23 ° C.||+15 ° C ... +18 ° C, not lower when kept in a room.||Not lower than +12 ° C and not higher than +18 ° C. Cut off.|
|Humidity||Better high. Do not spray. Put on a pallet with a wet component: expanded clay, moss, sand.||A wet rag is placed on the battery next to the flower.||Provide dry air.|
|Watering||Abundant.||When the topsoil dries.||Reduce (1 time per month).|
|Top dressing 1 time.|
Flowering - complex fertilizers for flowering.
Leaf - for ficuses (1.5 caps per liter of water).
|In 14 days.||In 7 days.||In 14 days.||Per month.||Do not use.|
Planting begonias in open ground and further care
Landing is carried out when the threat of frost passes, the best time is the beginning of June. The place is chosen bright, but protected from direct sun and wind. Seedlings are tamed to open air gradually.
Humus mixed with ash is poured at the bottom of the landing pits. With the same composition, the planted seedlings are mulched.
Outdoor care includes a number of features:
- Fertilize with humus, ash, potassium-phosphorus fertilizers from mid-spring to mid-autumn, 1 time in 14 days.
- Pinch stems 7-8 cm high to stimulate the growth of lateral processes.
- It is watered abundantly in hot summers and in rainy ones as the soil dries by 1 cm
Features and differences of wintering home and garden begonias
November is the beginning of the rest period, but this is an approximate period. It all depends on where the plant spent the summer. What is the task, to extend flowering or reduce. But in any case, the flower needs to rest for at least 3 months.
When storing domestic plants in winter, they are not removed from the pot, but cut off, leaving a 1 cm shoot. Contain under the conditions described in the seasonal table.
Garden specimens are dug up at the end of October, shortened roots, treated with fungicide (Fitosporin), dried, mixed in a container with peat. Located in a dark, dry room until spring. And also stored on the refrigerator door, wrapping with moss sphagnum or in a cotton bag.
In the spring, they plant in a pot, and after germination in open ground.
Tuber begonia is propagated in 3 ways: by seed, cuttings and division of the tuber.
An effective method, but possible if at least three kidneys remain on the parts.
Step by step:
- With a disinfected sharp knife, the tuber is cut.
- The cut is treated with coal.
- Planted according to the landing pattern.
With this method, in the middle of spring, the following activities are carried out:
- About 10 cm are separated from the mother bush.
- Take a container with wet peat, plant sprouts in it.
- When they take root, they sit down. When transplanting, pinch for the growth of lateral shoots.
The method is long and time consuming. When placing a house, it is difficult to obtain seed:
- flowers are artificially pollinated with a brush;
- when the fruits appear, it is not easy to collect the seeds, since they are very small.
The process of planting seeds:
- In a tank with soil for begonias, seeds mixed with sand are scattered. Humidify with a spray gun.
- Cover with a transparent cover (glass, film).
- After the emergence of stronger sprouts, they dive.
Mistakes when growing begonias, diseases and pests
External manifestations on the leaves
|Dry, browned ends.||Lack of moisture, dry air.||Increase watering, moisturize the room.|
|Blanching, discoloration.||Little light.||Organize good lighting.|
|The appearance of a wet white coating.||Powdery Mildew||Remove damaged parts. Reduce watering. Sprayed with a 1% solution of colloidal sulfur.|
|Brown spots, gray plaque.||Gray rot.||Cut sick leaves, treated with fungicide (Fitosporin, Green soap).|
|Falling buds.||Too dry air, too wet soil.||Humidify the place next to the plant, watered only as the top layer of the earth dries up (1 cm).|
|Twisting all parts of the plant, deformation and death.||Aphid.||Remove insects. Apply preparations containing permethrin.|
|Yellow spots, dots, white web.||Spider mite.||Use insecticides (Fitoferm, Derris).|